Went to my first one this past w/e. Had about 28 or so shooters, from a 9-year-old to at least me (63), several girls, and (don't misconstrue this, I think it's relevant and important) a black couple. Everyone was as nice as could be, and we all learned a lot - both about the roots of the (1st) American Revolution and shooting techniques. More info at: The Appleseed Project

Click the "Schedule" link to find one in your area.

As for myself - I had fun....sort of... Found out that getting old, getting fat, being out of shape, and going blind isn't the ticket to success! Found I needed an optical assist - unfortunately, my 2 rifles with optics (can't count the '03 since it's a LN AND a bolt gun isn't the best choice for one of these matches) are both without slings. Next time, I'll be ready! Putting a new stock on my Mini-14 (Tapco) with Millett Redot and sling.

Otherwise, 2 people qualified as "Rifleman" (at least I'm no longer "Cook"!). One was that 9-year-old! Yes, he received certain "dispensations", but the shooting was all his!

Course of fire was the Army Qualification Test, reduced to 25 meters.

10 shots offhand, "100 yards"
10 shots, standing to sitting/kneeling, 5 shots at each of 2 targets, "200 yds"
10 shots, standing to prone, 3 shots each at 2 targets, 4 shots at a third, "300 yds"
10 shots, prone, 2 shots each at 2 targets, 3 shots each at 2 targets, "400 yds"

Obviously, the "standing to..." required a reload - 2/8 at "200 yds", 5/5 at "300 yds".

Overall, I'd reckon that I fired ~450 rounds in the 2 days....and those "standing to...." transitions slap wore me out!

If anyone gets a chance, go try it! Now - I'm off for the Absorbine Jr and Excedrin PM!!!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.