Yesterday @ 12:11 AM
    Real Name
    Bill Baker
    Local Date
    06-15-2024
    Local Time
    02:06 PM

My 91/30 Delema

Back in September, I picked up an M44 and as part of the deal, I gunshop tossed in a 91/30 Barreled receiver for $25.00 missing allot but I just happened to have most of the parts including a stock The only thing I will need is a complete bolt to make it back into a shooter.

I found a POS bolt assembly that I will have to rehab as well but its cheap. So my dilemma; The rifling in the barrel on this 91/30 is really good, the issue is that it has been, like a lot of Mosins, factory counterbored.

know I know that counterbore of itself is a good thing if the crown is damaged but I that's about it. So since this barreled receiver is just the original reciver, barrel, trigger guard and trigger group. There is much value in it.

I've always wanted to do a project rifle and this would make the perfect one; cutting the barrel to 26" like the Finnishicon M39 barrel and dropping it into a handmade custom or modified stock made from a damaged 91/30 stock.

So here is my Dilemma, I hate... really hate taking an original chunk of history and in reality destroying it (in this case just the barrel and bolt handle. I know that I would have a rifle I would enjoy shooting and hunting with but just can't get over messing with a historical item, no matter how sad it is right now.

That's my world though, I have a lot of rifles that I have brought back to life and it almost always cost me more then the rifle is worth if I had bought whole and in shooting condition.

As a matter of fact, just bought a Remington Model 12 on Gunbroker that need a lot of tender loving care which I will give it. (http://www.gunbroker.com/item/702087436) but I don't care because I have a love affair with model 12's it was my first rifle, my grandfathers rifle passed to me (I still have it and another 5 variations of the model 12)

What to do!!!!! Crap-o-la....
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by usabaker; 10-05-2017 at 09:06 PM.