Hello to everyone,
I am new to owning a M1icon Carbine and was needed some help. I am using the book “U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production as a reference. But still need some more help.
I have an M1 with a Rock-Ola Barrel and Rock-Ola receiver serial # starting 172**** (both are marked correctly). It has the following-
Stock- Type III with S-HB in sling well, so apparently made by Hillerich & Bradsby for Standard Products Co. The serial # range appears to be 2,090,00, so later then my rifle receiver. The crossed cannons Cartouche is in the correct spot and measures the correct size with calipers. The barrel band spring is parkerized. The recoil plate is a type III marked Standard Products and SW on right side.
Handguard appears to be incorrect as it is marked ‘OI’, is a type III, and is apparently in the 5,500,00 serial # range, way after my receiver.
Butt Plate- Marked S-S3, presumably Standard Products.
Reciever- Type II, Marked Rock-Ola, Rear sight is a type II and has stake marks and stamped on right side “I.R. Co. 7160060”.
Bolt- a Round bolt with right lug marked “W” (Winchester?) Firing pin is type III.
Trigger Housing- Type VI milled, but marked “SA”. So it makes that a Springfield Arms presumably?? Not sure, about this so please give input.
Slide- Type III with the number 7160091 and two other markings: a “Q” and also what looks like a circle punch mark “o”.
I have not taken the rest of the rifle apart to see markings on smaller items.
My questions are:
-What does all of this tell me about the rifles history? Probably just pieced together, considering trigger housing and handguard?
-What is the story with the trigger housing?
-What is the story with the Slide? Who made it and when?
Any and all info is appreciated, I am having a lot of fun with this gun!
Jeff
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.