Thread: Another match has been found: a No. 4 MK. I (T) X31886 and its scope 23898

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    06-03-2024 @ 02:26 PM
    Real Name
    Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
    Local Date
    06-07-2024
    Local Time
    04:54 PM

Another match has been found: a No. 4 MK. I (T) X31886 and its scope 23898

Another match has been found, a No. 4 MK. I (T) X31886 and its scope 23898, but they are not yet reunited. Presently, Feb. 9, 2018, there are two separate sales open, on two different sales sites in the USAicon, that contain components that should be reunited.

1. One is a 1945 BSA Shirley made No. 4 Mk. I (T) SN X31866 (basic rifle with cheek rest and scope pads but no scope, bracket, scope case, chest or sling). The wrist shows that it had originally been mated with scope 23898 and the wrist is also stamped with a "26" which was a mystery until the scope set showed up (see below). It is listed for USD $1,695.

2. The other rifle is a 1942 Stevens-Savage No. 4 Mk. I* (T) [?] serial number 13C6918 which is stamped on the wrist for scope number 4319. That scope has not turned up yet in my database. However the scope set that is now on 13C6918 goes with the other rifle. The bracket is numbered X31886, the 1945 No. 32 MK. III scope by AK&S is number 23898, thus both matching the 1945 BSA rifle above. The 1941 dated scope case No. 8 Mk. I (rounded corners) is not marked with the rifle or scope serial numbers, however it is marked twice with the number "26" which is also stamped into the wrist of the BSA rifle above, which solves the mystery of that marking. Not shown in the photos, but the seller has confirmed for me in writing the following: Scope SN – 23898 Wrist of the butt # - 4319 Scope Mount # - X31886 There is a buy in now price of USA $5,000.

If a collector purchased both rifles, they would then have a complete matching 1945 BSA No. 4 Mk. I (T) plus a Stevens-Savage No. 4 Mk. I*, apparently a rare sniper conversion, though missing its No. 32 Mk. I scope set. Luckily the No. 32 Mk. I is the most commonly available Mark of No. 32 scope, but that serial number has not surfaced as yet.

Is the Stevens-Savage a genuine sniper? Maybe. The Stevens-Savage sniper rifles are the easiest to fake and some of the hardest to authenticate since that majority of the conversion work on them was done during the war (i.e. scope pads, cheek rest, modified backsight) and they simply did not have a scope set fitted (a highly skilled task) to compete the conversion. One would expect a faker to add the scope number that they have put with the rifle, but that is not the case here and that is a good sign. This rifle does not have a "T" stamp (a bad sign but then not all of them were so marked) but it does have a scope serial number which is good. It is a Holland and Holland conversion and has the "S51" stamp. No "TR" or "S" markings as these are not normal for a Stevens-Savage.

Rather than provide the links here, which might cause problems of people tripping over each other, interested parties are welcome to contact me and I will happily relay the information to them on a first come first served basis. I have no connection with either seller and my only desire is to see the BSA set reunited. If you are interested in buying these, please do you own homework and study the photos to verify my observations, just in case I have made a mistake. Do check to ensure that the bolt serial numbers are matching those on the bodies.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to Seaforth72 For This Useful Post: