Hi all

I am posting this again, since my original post disappeared/didn't get posted for some reason, maybe, no idea, anyway...

I am looking for advice/help about removing the rear Carcano M38 fixed sight.

I've recently acquired the rifle and bringing it back to life, bubba had a moment with it. Part of it, don't know why, someone filed off the metal ridge on the rear sight (the one that holds the rear of the top wooden hand guard down).

I have a repleacement, but I can't seem to get this one removed. I removed the rifle from the stock and removed the screw. I am not sure what it does, yet, but it seemed like a safe thing to do.

I tried to gently tap it off with a brass punch. It didn't move and I didn't insist, just in case I am missing something. I also applied oil to it over few days and now considering heat. Before I do that, I thought I'd ask here.

Based on the pic (below) - how do I remove the Carcano M38 fixed rear sight? Is there a trick to it? Am I missing something, etc.

Any help would be very appreciated.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.