Dear Milsurps Forum,

I've purchased a Garand about a year ago and am ready to do my first full cleaning.

I've only shot it twice and after about 70 rounds through it I found that the bolt was not closing properly (see photos - proper vs improper). This happens even when I use snap caps and I have to push it a bit to get it closed most the time. I'm hoping a good cleaning will fix this (if there is something more to it then please let me know). At the range the action has no trouble cycling the next round into the chamber, it just won't close all the way. I'm terrified that closing it the rest of the way will cause a (slam fire?) and cut my hand open (I've read about this but I may be mistaken if it can happen in this situation).

I watched the Brownells Inc. M1icon Garand Firearm Maintenance series on YouTube to prepare for the cleaning. Some general questions about cleaning tool/methods:

I have G96 brand complete gun treatment (Cleans, lubricates, protects). Will that be good enough for a cleaner or should I purchase somethings like Hoppe's No. 9 and/or Breakfree CLP. Also TCE Degreaser Aerosol was an extra option. Thoughts?

For lube I'm going to use Lubripate 130-A Mil Spec Grease. good? Just going off what I saw in the video I watched, any better recommendations let me know.

I'm going to use a snake instead of bore rod/patches.

Should I be removing the gas plug for cleaning? If so, can I use any screwdriver or should I invest in a specific gas cylinder lock screw wrench? How tight do I need to screw it back on afterwards?

Sorry for the long post with too many basic questions. It's my first time disassembling and cleaning a semi-automatic firearm and I don't want to do something stupid.

Thank you

Attachment 91786Attachment 91785
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.