So this BSA old target rifle I picked up a while ago seems to have some very very worn draws, and despite being a BSA rifle it seems has had the fore-end replaced with Lithgowicon furniture, or at least has had these copper plates installed at some point in its life.

Now I would not be too worried about this (Considering I have done this once now and I am confident I could do it again at least to a useable degree), EXCEPT it has been bedded with what looks like some kind of putty directly over the rear of the action bedding where the most damage to the draws is. I thought perhaps I could very gently remove the bedding in one piece, do the repairs and then place it back but it seems a bit too solid to do that without it breaking excessively. So the question becomes, does anyone have any ideas as to how I can do this, or should I leave the old girl the way she is and just not worry about shooting her again? I like at least knowing I can take my guns out, and being a target rifle I feel she should be able to shoot at least a bit better than the average SMLE even in her old age.

Any not too crazy antiquety preserving ideas are welcome. (I will post pictures tomorrow since right now my internet is being annoying)
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.