Last November (2017) I purchased a No.4(T) rifle together with its matching numbered No.32 MkI telescopic sight. The rifle was made by ROF Maltby and is dated 1942. This rifle came with a transporter chest, numbered to a different rifle, and the sight came with a No. 8 scope tin, also numbered to a different rifle. The transporter chest contained a Scout Regiment Telescope (by Houghton Butcher) together with a tripod mount for this scope that was made in New Zealandicon. The Scout Regiment Telescope is missing its leather carry case.

I have a copy of Capt. Peter Laidlericon's comprehensive book on the No.4(T) rifle and have studied his observations and I am happy that my rifle is a correct example. I have also had a reliable opinion that this rifle together with its sight are an original matched pair.

I am interested in researching this rifle further and am now trying to find out who holds the wartime conversion records of Holland & Holland whose factory was located in North London during WW2. So far I have contacted the modern day Holland & Holland, the Small Arms Collection at Warminster, the National Archives at Kew, the London Metropolitan Archives in London, the Royal Armouries in Leeds but none of these organisations holds these records or has any advice as to who might hold them. Of course these records may no longer exist.

If anyone on the forum can help me with this search I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.