I was lucky enough at a local gunshow this weekend, to find a 1903 Remington serial #3039141 which I immediately purcased for $750. Not a 1903 modified, but the just like a Rock Island except for the "R" markings, high hump handguard (without the fixturing slot), boxed RLB carouche, finger grooves, original gas relief hole in addition to the "Hatcher Hole", black parkerizing. The barrel is 12-41 and gaged TEG=0, MW=1.0. with a bright and shiny bore and correct head space. The whole rifle is in excellent condition!
This rifle does have a boxed BA-WL rebuild cartouche stamped over the Boxed RLB, however, only the magazine feed plate and butt swivel are not "R" marked.
I had previously only seen these rifles in the collector books, never in person. The seller had 3 of these rifles, with the same features for sale, all lined up on the table. The serial numbers were 3022xxx, 3039141 (now mine), and 3051xxx. The 2 that I didn't buy had 1-42 marked barrels and the muzzle wear on the one with the next best stock was 4.0+. According to my resources, the 2 higher numbered rifles were produced in March '42 and the earlier one in Feb '42.
I suspect the Remington 1903's and 1903 modified's were produced concurently by Remington. My question for the resident experts is: What are the highest serial numbers observed of original 1903 Remingtons with all the early production features of the Rock Island and what is the current collector value of these rifles? The other 2 may still be available and I have the contact info of the seller. They reportedly came out of an estate sale.
You just never know what treasures will be encountered at the gun shows! That sure made my weekend!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.