Hi there. This is my first post on this forum. Hopefully my photos will load correctly.

About 15 years ago I purchased a 1919 Stevens 414 target rifle. A few years later, I spotted a vintage scope that I felt would look about right on the rifle. To me it appeared to be a small bore target scope. It was in nearly mint condition in the box. I bought the scope and had a gunsmith mount it on the rifle.

I recently did a search on the internet and ran across information that indicated that the scope is 1930's to 1940's vintage and is a sniper scope intended for use on the 1903 Springfield. However the box is marked in a way that suggests that this particular scope was made to fit a Savage 19 target rifle.

So my questions are:

1. Is this a military sniper scope, or is it a small bore target scope?
2. Is it of reasonably correct vintage for my Stevens rifle?
3. Is it a user, or should I be preserving it as a collectible--considering it's pristine condition?
4. The scope apparently is designed to slide in the mounting. Recoil after firing makes the scope slide an inch or so forward, and I have to manually pull it back into position against the ring stop. Do I have the scope mounted incorrectly, or is it missing any parts (recoil spring, etc.).

Thanks for your help.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.