Greetings!

I am mounting a scope base to an rather pitted mid-44 dated receiver as i recently came across an original M-82 along with its QR rings.

This is going to be used in matches where original optics are allowed.

Was able to get a hold of drawings, but was told by the compiler that the zeroing procedure was not to follow the print. Was told that for a 2008 GCAicon article, factory workers were interviewed. Apparently rifles were sighted out the window and the M-82 assembly (scope, rings, and base) was clamped onto the receiver and angled to match elevation of the iron sights. Then the receiver was marked. I know that there was a learning curve on making the M1C.

So, what should I do at this point (yes, using a e-sarco base)?

Step 1. Adjust the M-82 down to the bottom for elevation then up a few clicks.

Step 2. Angle the scope assembly (scope, rings, and base) till its matches the zero of the irons.

Step 3. Clamp base and transfer punch holes.

If step one makes it so that the base is angled wildly, but it ends up that if mounted straight I only have 1/2" travel left on the elevation, how much does this matter? I would like to hit stuff up to 4-500 yards if I can. The match goes to 250-300.

Note, I am a machinist of over two decades and drill and tap stuff this hard regularly (Greenfield MOLD taps work great, we do lots of 2-56).

Thanks,
Jesse
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.