I have the "Service Man's" Mauser, identified in an earlier thread titled "Question about an Unusal Mauser". It is believed to have been made in the 1935 time frame and has a Caliber of 8.15 X 46R. I have begun restoring it and have a new question concerning the stock.

It is a full length Walnut stock with the bayonet lug at the end, etc.

I stripped the stock and then removed three "cut outs" that had some type of epoxy filling. Two of the cut outs are in the butt portion and are exactly opposite each other. I originally thought some one had filled in the holes where the bolt stripping aid had once been. But after removing the epoxy plugs the two cut outs were only about 3/16 inches, or less, deep. There is no hole connecting the two cut outs. Each one is approximately 15/16 inches in diameter.

The third cut out is on the right side of the receiver portion of the stock just in front of the closed bolt. This cut out is the same depth of the other two but has a diameter of approximately 1-5/16 inches.

Were these for some type of plates or discs placed in the stock for identification or some type of recoginition? I found something similar to what the butt cut outs would have in them on an Antique Military web site but there was nothing about the larger cut out.

Where can I find either originals or replica replacements of what was originally placed in these cut outs that I could use to complete the registoration?

Any help would be appreciated.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.