Thread: WW1 'Periscope Prism company' sniper scope???

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    02-22-2024 @ 04:15 PM
    Local Date
    06-14-2024
    Local Time
    10:14 PM
    Yes, I think the pathway may be getting clearer. There would be a lot of good info in the records identified when they can be accessed.

Surpmil, my reference to PPCo paying royalties (or not) to the Germans was for the copying of the whole scope design. Whether PPCo version was close enough to infringe the Germanicon design it was based on could be a moot point.

Regarding the scopes used in the Enfield/PPC overbore mounts being part of a trials batch, Roger's is a No.4 about 800 away from the other known pair. It would be interesting to know the scope details for the example with the PPCO 1919 markings ex-NZ. Was this a No.3 or No.4 scope?
    Looking at my spreadsheet, I think there is a general pattern, but with the usual random bits thrown in to prevent a crisp solution. For example, the two known No.3 scopes on the overbore mounts are 70501 and 70533. You would think these would be two dots close together in the 'join the dots picture', but alas, I also have scope 70503 with no indication of what mounts it had, and 70507 on Purdey mounts. I think there was a batch of these overbore scopes, but it is not well defined by the scope serial numbers unfortunately. I get the feeling that the scopes used in the overbore mounts had a degree of randomness in their selection.

My own example of these mounts fitted on scope 70533 are completely unmarked, but the rear rifle mounting block is stamped with '12' in large font on the front face, FWIW. The roll-over latch lever design and its physical form is identical to that of the PPCo fitted P14(T)s. Although this item is otherwise un-marked, I am confident it came out of the PPCo factory. The scope mounts and rifle mounting blocks of scope 70501 are completely unmarked.

The theory that Bartle was the original designer of the dovetail mounts was looking so promising to me....oh well....All part if the fun...

Regarding making or upgrading a publication, I think TBS would be a good one if Ian can be convinced to do it. While there have been other books on the subject published later (that curiously do not reference TBS at all, but should have to avoid some mistakes), I think TBS has the technical credibility and primary source info to build on.

Regarding the compilation of the ultimate scope list, I am more than happy to assist. Will await your PM.

ATB,

D.

2. The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to lmg15 For This Useful Post: