This project is a bit of a long-shot, involving a P-14 that has had its ears "clipped and given a pretty good polish and blue, bur has the untidy, factory-original :lightening" divots milled into the top of the rear of the body.

Apparently another "ex-range" rifle, it has a tragic bore and the owner is keen to do something with it.

Now for the fun part:

As it is well beyond a proper "restoration, wicked thoughts have been entertaining us for a while.

Why not an "upgrade" to 7.62 x 53R Finn match / sniper cartridge? Standard .300 / .308 bore and groove spec, 1:10" twist like a .30-06. On a historical note; apparently a couple of the Baltic states rebuilt some of the P-14s supplied, post WW1 by the Brits, to 7.62 x 54R. I've never seen one, unlike several ex-Baltic .303 P-14s floating about, several years ago, with horrible barrels, and shabby stocks with a little sort-of rectangular tag attached to the butt.

If you run a reamer for the Russianicon case into a .303 chamber, you will get something that works, but as folks in Britainicon discovered when tinkering with Bren LMGs, the fired cases come out with a weird "double" shoulder. No problem if the taxpayers are sponsoring your fun, but a bit of a nuisance if reloading is planned.

The basic P-14 mag seems to be able to hold four of the fatter Russian cartridges comfortably and there were initial tests with dummies, (the rounds, not only the crazy old buggers contemplating this). Like a good bra, the bolt seems to round them up and point them in the right direction.

Obviously there will need to be some attention paid to extractor function with the bigger rim, and I suspect better results may be achieved with a modified extractor from either an M-17, or even a "magnum" extractor from a Ruger M-77. The Ruger item is surprisingly similar to the M-17 extractor.

7.62 x 54R and .30-06 run at fairly similar nominal pressures, so that should not be a problem. Other fruit, like a Timney trigger, scope mounts etc. will be added if and when the feeding and extraction mechanics are proven. Furniture? There are a few aftermarket "target" stocks still out there. About a year ago I spotted a never fitted or finished, "LBW" (Lionel @$%*@ Weeks, Australiaicon) semi-finished one, but it was snaffled up while I was wondering if it might come in handy, one day.....

We will see what, if anything, comes of this wild pursuit.

It would be good to hear from other "eccentrics" who may have made similar attempts.

Cheers!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.