Thread: WW1 'Periscope Prism company' sniper scope???

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    02-22-2024 @ 04:15 PM
    Local Date
    06-03-2024
    Local Time
    10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Surpmil View Post
    Very kind of you; good to know we're not suffering alone here!

Img15, great photos there. That erector cell adjustment slot on the underside may be a sign of some post-war fiddling. I once had an Aldis No4 with post-war H&H marks where a second slot had been cut, presumably some mixing and matching of optical components made that necessary. Worthy of a refurb that one.

To anyone reading this who has an Aldis scope or serial numbered parts of one, we've got somewhere around 125 logged so far and would welcome more details or photos. Post here or PM Roger, Img15 or myself. TIA.
    Thanks surpmil, the scope photos were as posted on ebay, and I have the bits to restore to completeness now. So will be definitely taking up your suggestion. There is (fortunately) only one erector adjustment slot - the photo is a bit deceptive as the previous owner has rotated the scope body 180 degrees in the mounts. Usually with Aldis scopes, the scope serial number is engraved alongside this slot such that is obscured by the cover plate. so that is a marker for whether the slot is original or not.

I believe we have mere 137 out of a possible 7,000 scopes logged, so please keep them coming!

BTW, the standard P14(T) front mounting block has the same critical dimensions as the overbore Aldis type in terms of set heights etc.

Roger, as for the consistent absence of the front rifle mounting block for the overbore Aldis, I do wonder as well. We know of one original front block, and a couple of rear blocks, so why not the others? I winder is many of the rifle mounts were just left on the receivers when they were junked, knowing they would never se used again?

On the topic of Mk.VI ammo being used at Gallipoli, it is well researched. In short, Australia made Mk,VI until Dec 1917 when UKicon went over to Mk.VII in 1910. Lithgow rifles were sighted for Mk.VI until late in WW1. before CAC started Mk.VII production in January 1918. The disposal of surplus rifles from Turkeyicon c.200o revealed a lot of SMLE IIIs sighted in Mk.VI - all marked to battalions of regiments that were at Gallipoli. Australianicon rifles used at Gallipoli went into the UK armoury system, as the AIF was issued with new Brit production rifles in Mk.VII for Franceicon.

ATB,

Damien

2. Thank You to lmg15 For This Useful Post: