Hi all. I am a new member. I bought my first M1917 from the CMPicon north store in March. It is a salvage grade Eddystone made in Sept 1918. It looks much nicer than I had expected based upon the CMP's description for salvage grade. The local gunsmith that I took it too also thought that it looked to be a lot better than salvage grade. The barrel bore is dark. I did not see any piting and I do see rifling. The CMP muzzle gauge dropped well into the bore, probably close to a 3. An HXP bullet fits tight in the muzzle end. I have read that sometimes on an old barrel, mlling a few 16's off the muzzle and re-crowning can improve the accuracy of an old barrel. I have not asked my gunsmith to headspace it yet. If the headspace is OK, should that tell me it is safe to shoot? If the headspace is not OK, does that mean I have to replace the barrel? I am not a serious shooter but I would like my rifle to be reasonably accurate and not shoot key holes at 100 yrd. I am looking for opinions on how I should proceed. Thanks for your input.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.