I've been looking for the right 1903a3 that needs some TLC to bring back - in my mind I always thought I'd find a sporterized something, preferably a smith corona.
I came across this recent wildfire victim today
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/883766437
It's kindof speaking to me - it would clearly require all the extreme measures I've wanted to learn more about and try for myself - electrolysis to clean it up, a new barrel and some new furniture and possibly other parts - careful fitting of a new stock, etc, and parkerizing
What worries me is re-heat-treating. Has anyone ever attempted this before? I imagine it can be done. Small furnaces for making blades are easy to come by, and temperature control is straight forward with todays laser thermometers. On the other hand, maybe there is a foundry somewhere that would do it for a fee?

Please don't yell at me, I'm not saying it's simple - just first thoughts. I realize there is plenty of science needed to learn before trying - exactly why this appeals to me, and hopefully some others here willing to provide some constructive thoughts. If you want to say "impossible", please elaborate with justification. I'm very interested.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.