Advisory Panel
    Last On
    @
    Local Date
    06-05-2024
    Local Time
    11:56 AM

Storing Your Arms, Home Made Fireproof Safe

Over the years I guess I became the catch all for Arms being passed along from Family.
    Becoming the caretaker before I get to old and having to figure out who in the family could carry the 'Torch' in to the future. Back about 2001 I seen my situation would get worse as family passed on. I have a few heavy safes and a few (I call) overnighter safes.... Light duty like your gym locker. At work after watching some trades spraying the foam fireproof on a Industrial building we were doing I hatched and carried out my storage plan.

How to Store:
    To be completely honest about it, I'm over run with 'arms collected' I guess I became the family drop them off to member. To better understand my brother and I at age 5 started getting our first arms and every Christmas after up until my Father was in his 80's. Some we were told we could shoot, others never to shoot. On the lever action Commemorative Winchesters that were 'Never to be shot' still have the twine he tied around them to keep you from accidently racking it, to keep from any type of wear. They are still in the original boxes with another box over them so the original box doesn't get damaged. These are limited editions, some consecutive serial no's, some matched rifle and carbine etc. On top of these I became the owner of my Fathers arms who was in to early Winchesters, Sharps, Springfields, different makers of Rolling/Falling blocks, Pocket pistols, watches and knives, Grandfathers moonshining carry revolver, old trapdoors and SxS shotguns, Brothers are mainly bolt action hunting rifles, FIL had a few early Colt and S&W revolvers, and 2 Uncles who had mostly what I call 'Farmers guns'.

How to store them without going broke on safes:
    While raising 2 kids I knew my biggest problem was never being able to have, move around or afford enough Gun Safe space. I got the idea after watching contractors spraying fire proof foam on a Industrial building.
    This was about the same time I was having a pad poured for the back boat garage and having a coarse of block set on it.
    I had my block mason buddy lay a build out from a basement wall that gives me a 22' wide x 6' deep x ~8' tall locker. I purchased enough of the spray fireproof foam from the outfit that was doing the work on the local GM Assembly plant when we were painting the new addition to give me a 4hr rating @ 1000F. I sprayed between the upper floor joists before the corrugated steel ceiling was installed, after I built the storage racks the entire interior was sprayed again. My Humidity control system was installed with the help of a local 'grow your own' supply company which was much cheaper than the systems quoted by big gun safe systems they carried. Our home already had a sprinkler systems, I just had to relocate 1 line. Finally after wiring. I had a 3/8" steel door fabricated for it (also sprayed) with a special high temp gasket/weather strip like on a wood stove made up for it. Great place for arms I couldn't be happier but also a good place to store extra powder and primers. Since our basement has a block foundation you really don't notice this being there. Our basement is cut in half length wise with 1 side having a rec room, full bathroom and extra bedroom. The other side is the utility side making the stand out not noticeable. I covered the outside of the steel door with cork board that has pictures and notes pinned on it. The lock is inside a recessed fuse box panel (flush mount panel door) about 1/2 way up the sliding track door. I'm proud of it and Thanks to swapping/bartering some work it cost less than a couple high end gun safes. That's about 1000 cubic feet of storage... minus shelving area.

Happy Thanksgiving All
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Charlie-Painter777

A Country Has No Greater Responsibility Than To Care For Those Who Served...

2. The Following 8 Members Say Thank You to painter777 For This Useful Post: