A number of weeks back I posted on a ‘43 Maltby that I had acquired. Initial shooting with limited factory PPU 174gr FMJBT was fairly promising. I subsequently picked up dies and a supply of a few different projectiles in order to see what could be seen. I used RL15 and PPU brass along with standard CCI primers. Data was from Hornady and Sierra. The projectiles were the following:

PPU 174gr FMJBT
Hornady 174gr RN Interlock
Sierra 180gr Pro Hunter

Not much luck with the boat tails even though it seemed to like the factory version. Groups around 5+”@100yds. The Hornady and Sierras did better with a few final groups on those showing around 1.5”@100yds. I narrowed down a few areas using a LabRadar to see the velocity nodes and home to get back out this week to test those areas. Some vertical stringing was noted (from what I understand common) but there were a few promising results. Above 39.0gr with the 174gr, (2350fps) and around 37gr (2250fps) with the 180 seem to hold the most promise. I’m used to precision loading, so this is a bit more basic and my usual OCD is giving me fits. I wish someone (besides Redding at $90) would offer a neck only die. Currently using a Lee Collet but would like to get a bit more tension.

Attachment 113280

I ended up putting a 2.5x Leupold on it, since my older eyes need a bit of help. The goal is a 300-400yd gun to have fun and plink steel, so not sure if I’m going to do more that that. Cheek piece is almost done as it needs a bit more fitting. I’m currently using a foam riser affixed with vet tape for the proper cheek weld.

Attachment 113281

Hopefully get out again this week and finalize the loading and get that end of the puzzle squared away. After the Holidays when the snow is really flying, I’ll work on the faux transit chest.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.