I bought a Savage No 4 Mark 1* pretty cheap, ah I stole it. To make a long story short I bought it for a parts price because it had very good timber. The barreled action appears to have gone through a re-arsenal with a B stamped on the left side of the receiver. The 91 C original serial number is just legible but the serial number was hand stamped under it (rather poorly). Bore is good but under the timber it had evidence of pitting before sand blasting and a new coat of black paint (which looks like Suncorite) The trigger has not been updated and is still in Mark 1 configuration. Now to my primary question.

Bolt handle is handstamped with a F serial number prefix (5 digits following). Most of the pieces are S marked. The bolt head is 0 marked with M and broad arrow. So I've bought plenty of No.4 with mixed matched bolts, no big deal if a parts gun. But I don't remember seeing and F marked serial number bolt and am wondering if its fake (Navy Arms etc) or something else. I searched here and on a couple other forums and couldn't find much on F marked bolts (No. 4 rifles). I gave up so I'm just going to break down and ask. I have all of Skennterton's books but they are at the bottom of the book pile and I'm being a little lazy. FYI I have around 20 L.E. and I have no interest in shooting this one so no concern there. If the bolt serial number is a fake I want to know that.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.