I am working on the rifle indicated in the subject line, and have a question about the magazine floorplate release components. Evidently most people do not take the trigger guard assembly down to the point where they have to worry about these parts, so I am finding it difficult to find good information about them.

There are three (four if you count the pin) components in the floorplate release 'system'.
  • The Floorplate Catch Lever - serrated piece that is pressed to release the floorplate. This is held in place by the pin within the front section of the trigger guard, and has a small protrusion that is fitted inside the floorplate catch.
  • The Floorplate Catch - a cylindrical button shape (about Ø.310" x .338") that is constrained by the protusion on the floorplate catch lever. This component is almost out of sight above the trigger guard, and at the back end of the magazine floorplate.
  • The Catch Spring - About Ø.195" x .580" free length. This is inserted into the back of the floorplate catch piece.

I have tried to learn what the original finish of the Catch, and the Catch Lever were from photos of original rifles, and any other sources, but I have yet to learn anything conclusive.
What the photos show is too inconsistent, and any kind of arsenal rework rust-blued all metal parts. So that makes this task that much more difficult.

From Frank Allan's book "The Type 38 Arisakaicon" for this series:
Attachment 116996
But I am unsure if "floorplate release" is the lever, the catch, or both?

Pictures of the components:
Attachment 116997Attachment 116998

If anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.