I've found that firing a rifle with a bayonet hanging on the end of the barrel can have various affects on the POI, from none (as with my SMLE) to some (+ 2" with my No.4).

But yesterday, practicing for a comp coming up that requires a fixed bayonet on my M1icon Garand, I was surprised that it raised the POI by a whopping 14" at 100 yards.

Just to say that the rifle is a fairly new build 'straight pull' action built to conform to UKicon 'Section 1' regulations. The bayonet is a 1943 M1 (M1905E1). I do recall firing the rifle with a standard WW2 M1 bayonet a couple of years ago and not seeing much difference with the POI, but only had the cut down M1905 with me yesterday. The rifle is generally very accurate and appears to function completely OK. The bedding of the furniture on the action appears to be fine, very tight as it's new wood. Taking the bayonet off, the rifle puts the bullets where I aim them.

Has anyone an explanation for the fairly excessive raise in POI, or experienced similar?

Thanks,

Charlie
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.