Looking for some insight on what the Japaneseicon people and culture was like in the period leading up to WWII.

I've obviously watched a lot of war movies that seem to depict them as very serious, obedient, loyal to the Emperor and with a somewhat strict system of not necessarily a caste system but something along those lines.

I just watched a movie the other evening called "The Great War of Archimedes" The main character is very disrespectful of others, makes light of life and Japan and seems to be the complete opposite of what I've seen in other films. The other important historical figures also seem more "human" than strict adherents of procedures and regulations.

This movie was made in Japan with Japanese actors so I would expect it to be accurate. They put a ton of detail into being period correct and had some incredible special effects which my eye couldn't tear apart of the Battleships Nagato and Yamato along with various carrier aircraft.

The main character just seemed out of character. That being said, I really liked the movie. Now wondering if it is a true story or a fanciful creation.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.