Thread: SANo 15 Transit Chests - Research and Restoration - the story so far..

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    05-25-2023 @ 09:54 AM
    Real Name
    Henry
    Local Date
    09-24-2024
    Local Time
    05:14 PM

SANo 15 Transit Chests - Research and Restoration - the story so far..

Happy New Year! Here is a quick update on projects keeping me off the streets..

A couple of separate inquiries came in to restore parts to salvaged transit chests - this totaled to about 8 chests all needing the partition / cradles and associated components - battens, chord, screws etc.

I have been tracking down the best sources of hardware and components and trying to buy wholesale where I can. My distant goal is to be able to turn out new but authentic chest assemblies. With most of these in hand I started buying equipment for woodworking and studying the original chests within my control and circulation for manufacturing techniques and other tell-tale signs.

I also researched the various sizes and sources of hardwood lumber - quite a varied BOM for such simple parts as the partition / cradle task. Over the Fall and Winter I have made up 12 or so sets as a first run, developing jigs to mark and make more and testing the pieces in the original chests. This has resulted in about 6 pages of design and build notes so far - and still growing!

I am making these components to sell - so I can offer them to forum members - they can also be found on outlets run by myself in the US and brother in the UKicon.

I am interested to know what internal and chest carcass components that would help those other projects along around the world. I was thinking of finishing the interior fittings groups first (Scout Scope, Scope Tin and Rifle But). Then move onto making new ends and lids - the latter having end caps and inletted and rivetted hasps. Then finally long sides and bases - at which point I would expect to be able to put together complete chests.

Feedback, chastising and other ideas welcome to keep me off the streets
    Good Health to all!
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 5 Members Say Thank You to ArtioZen For This Useful Post: