Hello all! So, recently, I picked up another rifle I've always wanted; a Dutch Beaumont. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not ALL that familiar with 19th Century small arms, but I am learning nonetheless. I picked this rifle up at a gun show, and I was only there because my buddies wanted to attend. Personally, I don't care for gun shows, but since I was already there, it looked like it needed a better home than what it currently had.

Firstly, from what I can gather, it would seem that the Beaumonts were left 'in-the-white', except for the magazine bodies. Can somebody confirm this? Because, I am not basing this off of any literature, or records. I am basing it off of images of other examples of these rifles, which appear to be in much better condition than my own.

Secondly, and this is mostly why I joined this forum, I recall watching one of Mark Novak's videos on (perhaps an early Gewehr 88? Maybe a 98?), and he had mentioned his use of a rather mild acid to bring a receiver back to white, then neutralizing said acid to prevent any damage. That video no longer seems to exist on his channel since his division from C&Rsenal to his own channel. Does anybody have any idea what acid may have been used? Because my 71/88 is little more than a pile of what many consider to be "patina", and what I consider to be rust.

Thank you, guys!

-Justin
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.