Hi there-

I recently acquired (most of) what appears to be a FN Model 1935 Peruvianicon Mauser. This one looks like it was converted to .30-06 and has the factory ".30" stamp on the rear of the receiver. At some point in it's life, it was further sporterized with a cut-down stock and has a "Mark II" replacement safety. It was also drilled/tapped for a scope.

Right now, the bolt is the greatest area of concern for me. It is missing the extractor and extractor ring. It is also missing a small protrusion on bolt face. I don't know my Mauser bolt nomenclature very well, but after searching it appears as though this may be called a feeding detent, while the corresponding protrusion above it is called a rim support. I've attached a picture to show the area that I'm talking about.

The feeding detent appears to either have been broken off of this bolt or possibly filed down. I have no idea about the history of the gun (a basement find, so who knows). My questions boil down to these:

1. Has anyone ever seen this "modification" before, or is it most likely damaged?
2. Does anyone know if this affects the function and safety of the bolt?
3, It appears that the extractor/extractor ring for this bolt are interchangeable with M98 bolts, but that's just based on my observation and comparison with other complete Mauser bolts that I have. Can anyone confirm/deny that?

I appreciate any help, observations or comments that anyone cares to offer.

Good luck and take care.

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.