I am looking for constructive comments and informed critique to an old practice used to clean dirty, dusty, greasy, grimy, oil stained, sweat stained and just plain well "used" wood stocks to military long arms up to 150s year old.

Ive been soaking old stocks in kerosene to remove years of dirt, oil, grease, etc. for many years with very good success. Note that my intention is to return the work pieces to bare untreated wood since the original finish is long gone. Some preparation is often required to remove cosmolineicon and excessive and loose grime. A certain amount of brushing with soft bristle brush is often needed, but Ive noted no bad effects of the wood. There have been no issues with repairs that require glue of any kind and the stocks take staining when used (dont use it unless is was used by the military). I never sand wood stocks and the kerosene soak does not seem to effect the pores of the grain. Once dried the wood often takes on a faded gray tint. When I apply BLOicon (to all but the Russianicon Mosin Nagant, which were originally left looking rather dry) the original color of the wood blooms, the color darkens and the effect is remarkable. Ive recovered some nasty looking stocks over the years. I dont try to take out dents, nor make the stock look new, just a hard used rifle well cared for (all things considered) and for the most part, I seem to achieve jut that!

Ive seen a few articles discounting the use of kerosene, but Ive also seen continued accounts of the use of the long disproven application of oven cleaner. Ive even seen accounts of placing stocks in dishwashers (but no comment of the cleaner used).

So what facts, good or bad are available about applicability of kerosene for cleaning old wood stocks? What other methods are considered better or "correct"? Ive got three new projects on stocks over 00 years old each. If there is a better way, Id like to hear of it and consider it for use on these projects.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.