I'm just spitballing here, bear with me.
I've had it on my wish list for a long time now to build a flintlock from scratch. Been doing homework for years, read "Building the American long rifle" cover to cover several times, along with multiple other similar books. I've practiced the skills therein fitting up or inletting many parts on the many milsurps I've restored. I'm ready, and my kids won't be around forever to do it with me, or at least watch me as they tend to do when the work gets too involved

My hang up is that all the kits/models available of very ornate. All the demand seems to be for a "golden age" rich man's showpiece. I want none of that, so I'll have to carefully select each piece to do it. I live just up the road from the NRA museum, and been fortunate enough to inspect some arms from the revolutionary period. None of them are like what you see being sold now. Everything is simple. Many parts still have file marks as the extra hours to polish down was not paid for.

I don't need it to be overly "correct" either. I need a simple lock and furniture cast from pot metal. Straight grain, full length walnut stock. I'll go with a rifled barrel (I know almost all of the average Joe's arms of this period were smoothbore muskets), and I'll want a left-handed lock - knowing how incorrect this is too. double-set trigger too. This should all make it unique and very personal, without any gilding, fancy carved inlays, etc.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.