05-27-2024 @ 05:07 PM
    Real Name
    Walt Meyer
    Local Date
    05-30-2024
    Local Time
    09:23 PM

We Need to Outlaw Sandpaper

I obtained this Winchester M1icon Garand last week from an on-line auction. I already had an SA and obtaining a Winchester was on my "want" list. I knew from the pictures it had been sanded (thanks to what I learned on this site), but I wasn't ready for how bad. When I shouldered the rifle for the first time, I literally thought the gun was crooked. It turns out it is just a bad case of "Bubbasandpaperitis."

I attached a few photos so persons new to collecting can see what they should be looking for. When I dismantled the rifle, I found that the only Winchester part in it is the receiver (the barrel is a SA-1-48). I was slightly disappointed, but this now makes it easier to decide what to do with it. I will replace the wood with a correct period (and worn) stock and WW2 era milled trigger guard so it can be returned to its correct WW2 set-up. I do have one question for the experts - the gas cylinder on this rifle is a very dark black color, almost like a paint (photo attached). Is this a correct USGI part or an aftermarket part? Between the overdone sanding and fake flash hider, I am wondering if Bubba replaced the original cylinder with a non-USGI part?

Thank you in advance for your expertise and advice!
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WinSanding5.jpg‎
Views:	456
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	130492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winsanding4.jpg‎
Views:	399
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	130493   Click image for larger version

Name:	WinSanding3.jpg‎
Views:	387
Size:	2.91 MB