Morning all. Looking for suggestions for heavy cast bullets 2 groove barrel on my longbranch #4MKI*. This rifle is not in its origional military shape. Has had the top handguards removed, forend shortened, barrel cut to 22", and a parker hale sporting front sight ramp installed. Headspace as measured was on the order of .17 thousandths. Not exactly conducive to both safety and long case life.I purchased a couple #3 bolt heads from a friend "down under" And started checking the length of the locking lug on the right side of the bolt Till I found one longer in length than the one that came with the rifle. Unfortunately just screwing on the #3 bolt head wasn't that easy. It would not fully rotate to where I wanted it to be. I used a fine die makers stone and proceeded to remove a small amount of metal on the face of the bolt body. After about 5 tries
I had the bolt body and bolt head where they are supposed to be. The joint between the bolt body and the bolt head just showed a fine line. You want the bolt head to bear on the front of the bolt body and not on the threads. Checking the headspace it was now down to.004 thousandths. I plan on mounting a redfield international rear sight and a lyman series 20 front globe frong sight. Why the series 20 when I could have used the smaller series 17 lyman globe sight. Size of the inserts. The 20 series are much bigger and easier for older eyes to see through, mine are approaching their 63rd birthday. And I wanted the generaous windage and elevation adjustments that redfield gave their international series rear sights. And since I plan on shooting cast bullets with this rifle I'll need all the help I can get.
And soon will be glass bedding the back of the forestock, the draws, noxform, and where the barrel sits at the end of the forend.
So if anyone has any comments and or suggestions they will be most welcome. Regards, Frank
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.