Hi All,

Many years ago, perhaps at my first or second Tulsa, my brother and I picked up a pile of Enfield barreled actions; among them a few Indian SMLE variants and a No.4 Mk.I* by Savage. All of them are/were a little threadbare, finish-wise, but otherwise sound. And in a box they sat for many years until this summer, when I got the urge to do a build. So long story short, I am working restoring this No.4. Full disclosure No.4's aren't my favorite Enfield types, but I have always liked these Lend-Lease Savages. At any rate, combing through all the spares we had collectively, it turns out I can put this together as an all-Savage build without needing to source too many parts (see my WTB post about that Savage Forearm I still need ) as opposed to my original inclination to do a post-war rebuild.

So now I have come to the forums seeking the collective wisdom of the group; I have questions!

For what its worth, this is a 1942 date, Serial 28C86XX

First and foremost- Metal Finish. From what I have read, J Stevens (under Savage) did these just like they did the Thompson SMG- Dilute Black oxide receiver, normal bluing everything else, and all with a matte media blasted preparation. I haven't seen any substantiated reports of other correct finishes, such a higher polished blue for an original factory finish, but I would love more information here and/or pictures of original finishes to work towards. I will be reblueing this example(I don't rush to the reblueing tank with milsurps there is barely any finish left as it is).

Next, Buttplate. From what I have seen, the zumak zinc allow plate is correct on all of these. Any variations I should be aware of?

Accessories. I have managed to locate and buy an action cover, but I would like to find out more about slings- are there Savage marked ones out there? Muzzle covers of any kind?

I understand that once these entered service they were kitted out with whatever was around but I am attempted to go for a pure savage build, right down to the sling.

Thanks for any help you can all provide. If there is interest, I can provide pictures as this project crawls along.
Cheers