NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    04-14-2010 @ 06:49 PM
    Local Date
    06-12-2024
    Local Time
    04:27 AM

Carbine at liberation of Stalag VII A

Here is a photo I found in the General Clark Collection at the Air Force Academy POW Archives. It shows two brothers meeting up after the liberation of Stalag VII A. One a GI in the 14th Armored Division - holding the carbine, and his brother, a Army Air Force airman POW. You can see the tank behind them with a blade on the front and a hatch open.

I was doing some research at the archives last week for a book I'm writing about my dad who was a POW and was liberated along with 110,000 other POWs at this camp on the 29th of April 1945.

After looking at the photos I got from the archives, I realized that there are two photos of family members meeting after the liberation, but the captions of the photos are not next to the photos. So this picture either shows a father/son reunion, or a brother/brother reunion. Here are the two captions:

1. "McCracken Brothers - brother finds brother at Moosberg, 29 Apr.'45" (Stalag VII A is next to the town of Moosberg)
    2. "Tec/5 Floyd C. MaHoney, Co.C 47th Bn. & 2nd Lt. Walter F. Mahoney, USAF (POW) Apr. 30, 1945 Moosberg.
    Father finds son after liberation. His 46th Birthday."

I think the photo is of father and son. (I can upload the other photo if anyone is interested.)
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by NB51; 06-16-2009 at 08:24 PM.