I recently acquired a Remington 1903 sn 3221XXX with a 8/42 marked R barrel. The seller said this gun is "untouched" (no parts switched out, didn't go through arsenal rebuild or repair).

I noticed the underside of the bayonet lug is marked H (that means SA) instead of R and the right side of the milled lower arm band is marked U (that means SA) instead of U and R.

The firing pin is not marked but should have a R stamped on it.

This info is according to J.C. Harrison's book on the Remington O3 1941 to 1943.

Did Remington use any SA parts during assembly?

Also, the stock is marked RA with three other undiscernable letters in a long rectangular box. The tip of the stock, the fore-end is stamped with a flaming bomb. I've never seen this before on a stock. Any significance?

I know the Remington isn't an early model (1941) but, using Harrison's book on IDing the rifle, I can't tell it it is a 1942 model or a 1943 model. I conclude it is not totally Remington parts.

It has a front sight cover marked 064157-4 on the left side and a G in a triangle on the right side. I appears this front sight cover has to be removed to replace the H bayonet lut with a R bayonet lug. Am I correct or is there a way to remove the upper band without removing the front sight cover?

Your input is appreciated. Should I just keep the rifle as is or would replacing two parts enhance its collector value?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.