Contributing Member
    Last On
    06-07-2024 @ 03:50 PM
    Local Date
    06-25-2024
    Local Time
    04:51 PM

No1 MkV update

Couldnt bear it any longer so started the strip down, (i have posted the thread here but the whole restore will be in the restoration part of milsurps just hoping for any more info on the No1 MkV) these are the original bits which will go again apart from barrel,

The barrel came off like it was just put on yesterday, my main concern on this was that bubba had drilled and tapped a hole in the reciever and i didnt know if it had gone through in to the barrel. It had but it looks like someone had removed the original grub screw or it was too short ? you can see (just visable) in the pic below at the top of the inner shoulder where the drill had passed

I had to clean up the top of the action, as the original flat bubba had produced was an eye sore the only way to partially correct this was to build up a radius at the flat this involved removing a few thou either side of the flat to reduce the width and trying to contour to the original i got it as far as i was willing to go ( just in case anyone has a vision of me with a grinder and a cowboy hat on, rest assured, it was done with a needle file and emery paper) with the original damage to this and the fact bubba had drilled a hole i am still in two minds on the future calibre, i,ve seen No4 actions with holes everywhere but this is still a No1 action and at the end of the day safety is paramount, and i like to sleep at night.
    If it failed proof and the failure was due to the action (you never know what else Bubba has done that you cant see) then this would be scrapped or deactivated, to my mind it is lost, if it was rebuilt as .22rf we still have a working part of history. only change here is the bolt head (which i have and a .22 barrel) the bolt head needs to be replaced as bubba had put a flat on this, so the bolt could be withdrawn without taking the homemade sight off.
    All coments or thoughts on the above wanted.

The action after cosmetic improvments on bubba,s work and ready for bluing also the charging bridge cleaned up.

i Have put these pics for information regarding barrels and woodwork, below show the barrels, the one that came off compared to an old scrap No4 sporter, if you take a close look at the threads and the vernier, you will see the same measurement from the knox, the blade sits on the pitch of the thread on the old barrel, but sits in the middle of the thread root on the No4 barrel, i tried the action on another no4 barrel and at hand tight it was justover 190 degree,s out. You learn something new every day, i never new the thread start was different on the No4 barrels and SMLE barrels. i may be wrong but it didnt look like bubba had worked on the shoulder of the action or the barrel.

This shows the original forestock and the replacement No1 Mk111, also the action fitted in the donor stock to show the relief for the mag cutoff.

Last two pics showing the letter "P" what is on the action and the stock, does anyone have any idea about this or why it was there, any educated guess welcome.

Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. Thank You to bigduke6 For This Useful Post: