I picked up a Western Field SB30A Riot shotgun over the weekend. It is Montgomery Wards version of the Stevens 520 (not 520A or 520-30). It has a 20-inch barrel, safety inside the trigger guard and is in the 26,000 serial number range. I picked it up because it appears to be hand-stamped U.S. on the right side of the receiver. In addition, there is a flaming bomb cartouche on the right side of the stock close to the receiver. There are no "choke" marks on the barrel but it measures to CYL. The only writing on the barrel is "Browning Patent" with 12 gauge Proof tested under that.

I have Canfields book on the way and Poyers too. I hope that they arrive this week.

From what I can find out on forums, it might be a WWI or pre-WWII U.S. shotgun. Does anyone here have any information on the Western Field shotguns that may have been used by the military?

If it is not a "US" gun I will enjoy it (shoot it)... It is a nice size and has an old school "cool" factor to me since it has the Browning looking double hump receiver.

Thanks
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.