i decided to refinish the wood on my m1. its a CMPicon rifle that came with one of the new birch stock sets.

one thing ive noticed about the cmp birch is that it seems to be more like a dye than actual stain, and it appears as if they make them really dark to mimic g.i. walnut.

it didnt look bad, in fact it was very rugged looking, but i decided to dress it up a little.

1st i washed it all down with denatured alcohol, which lightened it up quite a bit. then i started sanding with 150g sandpaper, followed by 220g, then 400g.

then i mixed turpentine and boiled linseed oilicon in equal parts and generously applied by hand. 3 coats, each allowed to soak in for 2 hrs, followed by 0000 steel wool to knock the grain down.

then stained everything with minwax woodstain. i mixed my own color by combining equal parts of cherry and golden oak. i applied 3 coatings, letting each set for 15 minutes before wiping off with paper towels, then letting it set for 2 hrs before repeating.

then i applied 3 coats of clear poly, sanding lightly after the 1st and 2nd coats.

it should be very tough, and when it does get nicks and scrapes, i will be able to touch it up by just sanding the spots and respraying.

heres what i ended up with. go easy on me fellas, this is my first time doing this!!!!!

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.