Hi, I've been lurking and reading on the forum.
Lots of great info.

This year , with the kids graduated, I'm finally chasing my wish list of WWII rifles.

I've shot some Garands before and fell in love.
So it was my first purchase this year.

Today I purchased a Remington 1903a3 for $700. Never shot one before.

It gauges 1 on the muzzle and 1 TE.
I don't remember the numbers for head spacing, but I was told it was right on. A set of go - nogo inserts were passed through it.

The 03a3 was part of a private collection of Garands a local armorer of Garands was selling for an individual on consignment.
He did the inspections in front of me, it was part of the group he hadn't gone through yet.

I've been looking for a good shooter, that wasn't a basket case.
In the past, the couple he had, he told me to pass on, and were priced at $650 on his rack.

But this one, after he inspected it, he said he would normally price at $900 on the rack.
But it came home with me at the $700 the consignee wanted for it.
Compared to what else was around locally it was less expensive, plus I trust this armorer.
At the local gun shops, 03a3 are priced at $750 - $900.

So locally I feel I did ok, more soo being able to have it inspected before I bought it adds value to me.

But over all, did I overpay a little bit?

Every part has an R on it.
I haven't taken it a part yet, but couldn't find a marking on the trigger or trigger guard when fully assembled.

S/N 3377xxx

Barrel RA 7-42

4 groove, looks bright and sharp, just dusty.
All metal has a light coat of oil on it, seems in the barrel too.

The bolt itself is blued, receiver and rear bolt body is park.

The barrel appears blued, not park.

In bright light, finish seems about 80-90% in areas.

The only downer I saw, is it seems at one point it time, someone did a minor refinishing to the stock, maybe while it was together. Light sanding, and lots of oil. From a far, it looks just like an older darker stock.

Looks nice overall, but the marks on the left side are soo faint, it seems a trick of the eye if I'm seeing partials of them or not. Still not sure.

On the bottom of the stock there are 4 different marks seemingly in circles in front of the magazine plate. They are more evident, just hard to make out, a bit blurred / fuzzy.

I'm told the butt plate should be original, it has a tight checkering.
There are some numbers/letters stamped on the top tang that bolts to the top of the stock.

I've got to get some pictures together and post them.
I understand, that's the real meat and potatoes of posting a "new to me" post!

I hope to get to the range this Wed if it doesn't rain.

I've shot my Garandicon, and have heard these 03 kick like a mule compared to the Garand. Should I be getting a shooting pad?

I have m2 ball , greek surplus. Seems to kick about 20% more than the lake city ammo I first starting shooting with this year (bought it with the Garand).
Anyone else notice the same?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.