I wanted to share pictures of my Winchester M97.

A little family history... My Grandfather was an armorer in the US Army. I never met him, but I've been told he served during WWI in Europe and during WWII in the US. I have no information about his unit, but I'm looking into how to find out via military records.

This M97 was what he kept as his personal issued weapon along with a M1911 pistol. I have no idea where his pistol is, but the M97 was his baby and I have his bayonet which is also made by Winchester.

With him being an armorer, I have no idea if this is the original bluing or if he refinished it at some point. I have no idea why the heat shield has 4 holes when I've been told WWI M97's had 5 holes. I don't know why there is pitting on the bayonet lug or why there is copper solder. It's possible he actually put this M97 together using salvageable parts from other M97 that were unusable due to battle damage.

The serial number has an E above the number and starts with 689XXX

----------------------------------

If you want access to all the pics for this M97, the password is "hotshot" at http://s671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/Sig_Hot-Shot/
On the left side of the main page are the photo album names, just click on the weapon you want to view.

----------------------------------

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.