Some may have seen my "refurbished" No. 5 on other forums but I think it is interesting enough to share with those of you here who may not have seen one of these.

[CENTER]

(The bayonet is a RFI reproduction that I bought after acquiring the rifle at a Sheriff's Auction in Las Vegas, Nevada.)

[/IMG]

This rifle has been "scrubbed" of any manufacturer's marks and has a brass "Ishy screw":

The receiver and barrel (not shown) have relief cuts to lessen weight typical of all No. 5s:

The serial numbers on the stock socket,

bolt handle,

forestock,

and magazine body all match:

The magazine platform has a mark I have been unable to identify:

The bottom of the stock has an RFI mark just behind the trigger guard. Also note the hollow bolt handle ball typical of all No. 5s.

The roundel on the butt stock has been identified by "Edwards - of India's Enfields" as being a stores mark dated 1957.

There are C.A.I import marks on the bottom of the barrel just ahead of the forestock; the number 1957 (or date) is stamped (not shown) on the front of the metal cap on the forestock:

This is definately not a cut down No. 4 but a rifle with all the characteristics of the No. 5s manufactured in Englandicon. I sent photos and a description to Skip Stratton of the Enfield Research Institute and he speculated that it probably began life as an English made No. 5 that was refurbished by RFI. According to Mr. Stratton, the Indians are noted for not providing any details or numbers in regard to their armament production or refurbishing activities even from 50 years ago.

My inquiries to Century Arms asking about its origin or import details have gone unanswered.

Any information regarding the unidentified marks shown above or regarding the origin of this rifle will be greatly appreciated.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.