I already struck out once.

I'm refurbing a fomer sporter model. I have a new stock and all the correct parts to make it as it was when it was a military model. All I need is the front sight removed.

I dropped it off at a local gunsmith on August 22nd after he said he could do the work. After numerous "promise" dates the latest being "I'll get to it this weekend" (Last weekend) I finally asked him to drop it off at the gunshop yesterday and I would make other arrangements. Nice of him to keep it in storage for over a month and not do anything with it. He literally didn't open the case.

Anyway, I got the front sight pin out tonight and am still having trouble getting the sight off the barrel. I've lubed it up and heated it and no movement. I'll keep trying and if anyone has any ideas I'm open to trying them.

I really just need it off long enough to install the top and bottom barrel bands.

So, as a backup plan does anyone know a gunsmith in Michigan who is reliable and would do this in a reasonable amount of time? Preferably with M1917 experience.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.