An otherwise sensible kiwi friend gets his kicks from making these very very nice rifles by combining no4 enfields with no8 .22 wood sets. These wood sets are not common but as a bunch came on the market in NZicon last year they trickle to the USAicon every now and then.
Anyway, here's Chris's comments, and I'll leave the pics to tell the story.

'Well I'm very flattered with all the fuss & of course you have my permission to use any photos etc.
Its quite opportune at the moment as I'm on holiday this week, so I have had the time to dismantle the rifle again & take some more photos of it (which are attached).

The whole conversion only took a weekend to complete and (from memory) the hardest part was the removal of the wood below the bolt to allow the mag assy to fit. I just used the trigger guard as a template & then using firstly a router then wood rasp & then sandpaper. I finished the internal modified area off with some matching wood stain.
The butt required almost no modification to fit to the action...apart from the fitting of the rubber butt pad. With the pad being slightly thicker than the original that came with the stock, it has totally transformed the whole feel of the rifle compared to the .22 No8 rifles I have used.

After re-assembling the rifle today, I thought I would put a few more rounds through it to just remind me of how good it actually shoots...(as maybe I was just dreaming?) and sure enough it's still very good!

The reasons being thats its a very good combination...the comfortable triangular sectioned fore-wood, the butt stock with a cheek rest & semi pistol type grip and the addition of the rubber butt pad (compared to the brass or alloy type normally fitted to a No4) and also the benefit of the half stock for both good overall balance and reducing weight.
I believe both the .308" L39A1 and the L42A1 rifles used modified No8 stocks.
Regards
Chris
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.