I have what I take to be a rifle out of the cadet forces of the UKicon. It has several features I wonder about and was hoping others could illuminate or explain some things.

First, it is a 1956 FTR MK II Fazakerley build, A100xx serial number. I have seen one other like it in the A78?? serial number range. Both had action bodies that were made like the last of the 1955 UF Axxxx production rifles; that is out of half finished No 5 action bodies without the lighting cuts behind the recoil lugs but with no provision for the cut off lug on the right side of the action body. Both were marked as Mk II actions, not 1/2 actions. The bands and wood on both seemed to be made in 1956, while the A78xx rifle has a 1955 barrel (my recollection) and the A100xx has a 1953 dated barrel.

I am wondering why some 1956 FTR builds seem to be made of new parts and marked as MKII. If they were new production why were they marked as FTR? Was this because these were older actions converted to MKII form or is there another reason?

Second the rifle has a heavy coat of varnish or shellac more so on the butt and a lighter coat on the front wood. Is there a reason for this? I have seen this now on a few rifle purported to be from ex-cadet stock, just wondering if it was common or is this evidence of post cadet modifications.

The rifle has a blob of red paint on the front band. The barrel is bright, but shows evidence of some cordite throat wear. In addition the crown is worn. Is this red paint an indication of wear or suitability or any other sign? There is no BLR or ZF marking on the stock.

Taking the rifle apart I note that there is a small yellow sticker with "0" on it over the chamber. It is not had written but a printed yellow tape with "zero" on it. Any idea what that indicates?

At one tie the rifle had a target sight on it, either a PH 5C or Twin zero type. I also note that the wood under the barrel was trimmed away to ensure good standard bedding fit. The barrel itself is coated in heavy grease under the wood. This led me to believe that the varnish and grease might be weather protection for rifles used in competition. Can anyone associated with Cadet shooting with the No 4 back that up?

Nay additional info on the use of these rifles in the cadets, either CCF or ATC would be of interest. Thanks in advance
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.