Hello All,

Thanks for all the advice so far. I've disassembled the rifle and found some interesting things. First aof all, the barrel has no clearance between itself and the wood. The forend tip was about 1/32 higher than the channel, exerting an upward pressure on the barrel.

The barrel was thoroughly cleaned. Its an original winchester (12/17)
and is bright and shiny with no noticeable pitting. it mikes out to .3087.

The main problem that I found is that the trigger guard rocks noticeably following Patrick's suggestions. The inletting is very deep at the front guard screw. The trigger guard that came with the rifle was straightened with the step removed. If I take an original 1917 trigger guard with the step, it fits perfectly.

Apparently this is a fajen stock with the 95% inletting that was never properly fitted. I would think that the whole rifle was cobbled together from parts to either make a quick buck, or be passed on once the original owner found out its accuracy. I also think once I open the barrel channel and properly shim the trigger guard, I should see a dramatic change in accuracy.

I agree with Chuck that its very hard to diagnose over the internet without actually seeing the rifle. I further feel that some of the great deals out there arent always what they seem. "Buyer beware" would be significant in the case.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.