Hold a bit chaps......, it's ME that's made the mistake. I thought I'd cleared it up but. The DIAL sight fitted into the front dovetail together with a very early effort to fit the type 1082 optical sight. The DRUM and the prototype brackets for the No32 were to fit into the rear dovetail due to the different eye relief of the No32 sight..... as shown in the drawings.

The trouble here was that from that moment on, the gun was either iron OR optical and not both. While the combination tool had the necessary forked screwdriver and mallet to enable the average gunner to remove the base for the optical sight in an emergency, the notion that the average Bren gunner would be able to fix the drum sight base into its place, then assemble the drum to it is not realistic.

That's the reason for the copper mallet on the combination tool, the small screwdriver and the small forked screwdriver.

I hope that's cleared it up and apologies if I mislead anyone. I did it deliberately just to see if you were all awake..............

Thanks for the info on Mk1m intermediate M4841. The earliest confirmed TRUE Mk1m (to the full Mk1m spec) is M-5138. So there could be 1,000+ Inglis intermediates. This makes them the rarest Inglis guns including the 3CH range