New to the world of 1911A1s and just got my first one today - a been there and had some changes example. But I have to say that I am pleased with it so far. Outside of the obvious refinish, the commercial front sight and commercial adjustable rear sight, I'd say it is an all correct type II Remington Rand in the mid-1943 range. Nice clear markings and functions perfectly. Slide's not a bad fit either as I had some in the service that were pretty rattley. At first I was thinking about having the type II slide restored to original USGI specs, but that might be more than what a replacement slide would cost. So now I'm leaning toward keeping the current slide for shooting and finding another for making the pistol correct in terms of USGI issue. If I did find a replacement slide, would I have to have it fitted to the barrel and frame or would it basically be a drop-in fit? My understanding is that barrels need to be fitted but I'm not sure about slides.

Another question that I have is that if you were to use a different barrel - as in a take-off barrel from another .45 - would it need to be fitted to your pistol or would it be good to go?

Thanks all.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.