Last On
    06-29-2022 @ 10:41 AM
    Coast Range Mountains of NW British Columbia
    Local Date
    05-26-2024
    Local Time
    10:23 PM

What happened to Gutermann?

The story is that a German soldier took this Colt 1911A1 from a US soldier (as a war prize) and then had his unit and name nicely engraved into the frame of this 1911A1. Guterman was eventiually relieved of this pistol by a Canadian soldier who took it home with him. This soldier died in Canadaicon 12 years ago and his widow sold it to the owner I obtained it from.

I know, buy the firearm not the story. Regardless if the story is true or not I like it. You will notice that the locations which normally identify the serial number and manufacturer have been milled away for the new engraving.

1st Lt Ernst Gutermann (Goodman = jewish name) 1944
    64th Reserve Corps

The D-Day Landings commenced on Tuesday, 6 June 1944, beginning at 6:30 AM Britishicon Double Summer Time.

Starting June 15th 1944 the 64th Reserve Corps was attached to the 15th Army Group stationed in Northern Franceicon. Previous to this the 64th had been assigned to special service duty. I strongly believe he was a Staff Officer of the Corps Leadership Group but cannot confirm that.

In July 1944 the 64th joined the 1st German Army. Shortly after joining the 1st Army, the LXIV Reserve Korps (64.) became (on August 5th 1944) the LXIV Army Korps (64.)

Following the Normandy invasion in 1944, the 1st Army reorganized in Lorraine after a hasty retreat with the rest of the German forces across France in August 1944. During the battles along the German frontier, the First Army attempted to prevent the Third United Statesicon Army from crossing the Moselle River and capturing Metz while also attempting to hold the northern Vosges Mountains against the Seventh United States Army.

In November 1944, both defensive lines were broken and the First Army retreated to the German border and defended the Saarland of Germanyicon, an important industrial region. With the Third U.S. Army engaged to the north against the German Ardennes Offensive, the 1st Army attacked the Seventh U.S. Army on New Year's Day 1945 in Operation Nordwind, causing the Americans to give ground and inflicting significant casualties where Seventh U.S. Army defensive lines were stretched taut by the length of frontage they had to cover. With the failure of Nordwind in late January, the 1st Army was first pushed back to the Siegfried Line and then forced to retreat across the Rhine River when the Allies pierced the German fortifications. Thereafter, the First Army made an ordered withdrawal to the Danube River before surrendering near the Alps on May 6, 1945.

SO WHAT HAPPENED TO GUTERMANN?
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Riflechair; 12-13-2009 at 01:32 AM.

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to Riflechair For This Useful Post: