Not necessarily, I have a 1943 2 groove LB that was never used. It was stolen by a RCN sailor when he left the service in 1945. He said he wanted a rifle to take home, and figured he might as well grab a new one. He never used it, thinking that he might get arrested if the RCMP looked at the serial #. It doesn't even have any brass on the mag platform! It even has the leather washer over the butt bolt. This is NOT a fake, I have been studying L E's for years, and I can always tell a fake. The CANADIAN government was fighting a propaganda war in the early years. There are numerous photos of our home soldiers, manning isolated WEST COAST bases waiting for a JAPANESE invasion. As early as the spring of '42, they were armed with the No. 4! This while we had soldiers overseas still carrying the Mk. III! One old soldier told me that the 2 groove rifles were mostly reserved for home service, and all the 5 groove rifles went overseas. I have never been able to confirm that, but it might be true. They were making 2 and 5 groove barrels at the same time.