Last On
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Real Name
    Steve
    Local Date
    09-25-2024
    Local Time
    10:15 PM
    They are kind of addicting once you get one. I personally think they are one of the ugliest, simplest rifles I've ever seen. Some have been downright crappy condition wise but overall, the recent imports have been in excellent shape. I had avoided them for years because everyone I picked up seemed to be falling apart. The odd thing is, I haven't seen many in this poor condition recently.

If I found one in really, REALLY nice shape, I'd probably pick it up but then would probably sell one of the others. All three of mine have matching numbers but I know the bolt on the sniper was replaced with a straight handle. Two have brass fittings on the wood. One even has the matching serial numbered bayonet.

And for less than $100 each, it's really hard to beat.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    02-01-2011 @ 12:58 AM
    Local Date
    09-25-2024
    Local Time
    09:15 PM
    As far as your original question, you cannot date a mosin by its serial number. Many believe the numbers were just put there in order to make certain that all the tolerances were within spec as the rifle was assembled originally. After that, it was just to keep track of parts in a relative fashion. To date it you must follow the stamped year. The year stamp on the receiver is almost always followed by the "n" looking symbol. This symbol stand for "God" and also means "year". As far as the "c" symbol it is a special designation for the barrel "quality" and really doesnt mean much. There is no record for what the barrel quality designations actually meant, whether for accuracy, or type of metal, ect.
    If your rifle has a star shape stamped on the receiver it was manufactured in the Ischvek arsenal and if it has a triangle with an arrow inside of it, it was manufactured in the Tula arsenal.
    On many of the re-arsenaled Mosins, the original year is completely stricken through and the new year is stamped in place of it. On most of the Tula re-arsenaled firearms the original year stamp is left un-molested and a "/" is placed after it with only the last two numbers of the year stamped. It would look like this "1942r/53" for example, this would mean original manufacture was in 1942 with a re-arsenal in 1953. the little "r" or "n" is the symbol meaning "year" (technical translation is "year of our God" ie-A.D.).
    Well i hope that that this helps you a little. Goodluck.

On a side note- If you ever wish to help that Mosin out and get a bit tighter groups I strongly suggest this sight. The one thing he misses out on is how strongly corking your barrel helps. I will also post a link for that as well. After floating my barrel and corking it i am achieving 1 1/16 inch 5 round groups at 100 yards. Im extremly happy with that. Seeing as how i bought the rifle for $89.00. Good luck.

Guns and My Other Hobbies: Accurizing the Mosin Nagant

and for corking--http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu63.htm

info for general accurizing--http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=529

Glass bedding and lots of info--http://1-800-magic.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-make-sniper-rifle-part-5.html
    Last edited by mbost; 01-26-2011 at 04:09 AM.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    12-16-2016 @ 01:46 AM
    Local Date
    09-25-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by mbost View Post
    If your rifle has a star shape stamped on the receiver it was manufactured in the Ischvek arsenal and if it has a triangle with an arrow inside of it, it was manufactured in the Tula arsenal.
    Seems to me like you have this backward...I always thought the star was Tula and the triangle Ischvek

Last On
    Yesterday @ 04:04 AM
    Local Date
    09-26-2024
    Local Time
    02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrim13 View Post
    Seems to me like you have this backward...I always thought the star was Tula and the triangle Ischvek
    Backwards indeed.....some of the other information in that post is also inaccurate....

The second dates on double dated M91/30s indicate the date of transfer from the Army to the Ministry of Defence, not a refurb date. Double dated rifles are nearly always marked 'MO' - the 'Ministerstvo Oborony'.

Serial numbers ran consecutively for one year of production - then started all over again. Russianicon/Soviet rifles had serial numbers for all the same reasons every other firearms producing countries in the world put serial numbers on weapons - to keep track of inventory after production.

Assembly numbers were used to keep track of major parts during production. These are found on the barrel and receiver.

The 'r' does mean year, or god in Cyrillic, but does not relate to Anno Domini or that man with the big Beardicon who lives in the clouds. Only Tula made barrels have the 'r'.

Most, if not ALL of the Soviet made M91/30s that are available to us today were refurbished in the 1970s, and are not marked so. We know this from looking at the paperwork that is found in the crates they come in. 1972 features highly apparently.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    02-01-2011 @ 12:58 AM
    Local Date
    09-25-2024
    Local Time
    Well, thank you guys for correcting me. Ive been going only by the information ive been able to find. Pretty much all scattered about every where on the net and, mostly, in what books i can find on the Mosin. Im very sorry for any incorrect info. ill be sure to include these into the ever growing list of "crap that aint correct about the Mosin".

+ Reply to Thread