+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ross Mk III Sniping Model Barrel lengths?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Administrator

Site Owner
    Last On
    @
    Real Name
    Doug
    Local Date
    06-20-2024
    Local Time
    08:44 PM
    My Videos in Video Club
    Here's an MKLicon entry that may be of interest ...

1915 M10 Ross MkIII* Sniper Rifle Serial #223

Regards,
    Doug
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    12-02-2013 @ 11:01 AM
    Local Date
    06-20-2024
    Local Time
    06:44 PM

Ross snipers

Not all the WWI Ross Sniper rifles had a scope mounted on them. Some were simply modified and used without a scope.

In many cases, the Germanicon trenches were very close to the Britishicon ones. Lots of them were less than 100 yards, and sometimes as close as 30 yards. In these conditions, an open sighted rifle would be a lot faster to use to pick up your target.

Another reason for cutting down the fore end wood might have been concealment. A slim rifle barrel would have been a lot harder to see and locate than one that had a more visible wood forestock. Also, many Sniper Hides had small openings and loop holes, just enough to shoot through. A larger opening could admit enemy bullets and injure a Sniper.

If you go on E-Bay and use the search function, there is a company in the southern United Statesicon that has reprinted a lot of the Classic books, including McBrides accounts of Machine Guns and Sniping, along with Heskith-Pritchards book. Sorry I don't know the name, but I ordered some books from them a while ago.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    @
    Local Date
    06-20-2024
    Local Time
    05:44 PM
    From the surviving photos it appears almost all the Ross MkIII rifles fitted with Winchester A5 scopes had the barrels cut behind the front sight. I assume this was done due to the sight blocking the scope's field of view somewhat.

One might wonder why the front sight base was not simply removed instead, but perhaps the barrels were felt to be unnecessarily long in any case. Thinking about it, perhaps it was the end of the barrel itself that interfered with the field of view, particularly when the scope was adjusted for longer ranges.

There is only one photo I have seen of a MkIII with the Warner & Swasey scope that has a cut barrel, and it may be that this was simply editing of the photo for the book it appears in. ("Without Warning")
    Last edited by Surpmil; 07-31-2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Correction & addition
    “There are invisible rulers who control the destinies of millions. It is not generally realized to what extent the words and actions of our most influential public men are dictated by shrewd persons operating behind the scenes.”

Edward Bernays, 1928

Much changes, much remains the same.

Last On
    06-18-2024 @ 06:01 PM
    Local Date
    06-20-2024
    Local Time
    07:44 PM
    If you are interested in Ross and/or Canadianicon sniper rifles. Do your self a favour and find a copy of Without Warning by Clive Law.

Amazon also has reprints of the Herb Mcbride books buffdog mentions. His book A Rifleman Went To War is especially good. You might want to get the Emma Gees as well. It is usually under $10 and worth reading.

You have a good start though. I really like In the Trenches because, not only is it a great book, but I know the author Glenn personally and I own the M-10 .280 Ross Frank Iriam used to hunt with for most of his life.

And The Ross Rifle Story is simply the best source of info on anything and everything Ross you will find anywhere.
    Last edited by Ax.303; 07-31-2011 at 01:49 AM.

+ Reply to Thread