I've got a Universal M1icon Carbine - SN: 85301 - so I believe it to be a 1st Gen.

Since I got it, I've only been able to shoot it a few times due to some problems.

The first problem was the Extractor spring plunger broke... replaced it and moved on.

The current problem is that it won't cycle properly. I noticed that it wasn't ejecting the spent cartridge causing a jam where the spent shell is laying on top of the fresh one as it was trying to feed. Most of the time the fresh round is still left in the magazine.

After troubleshooting, we (a gunsmith) and I determined that the bolt is catching and isn't allowing to slide back. We see this even when dry-firing. When the hammer strikes, it is somehow preventing the bolt from coming back. Manually cycling the bolt has a very noticeable catch.
Apparently this is preventing the bolt from cycling when shooting. The pressure from the round is enough to get it past this stoppage, but not enough to kick the spent shell out.

The gunsmith suggested that I order a replacement bolt - that he had polished the edge that he thought was hindering operation, but it only lasted a few rounds. There is a noticeable dent from the hammer on the rear of the bolt.
My research tells me that the hammer is supposed to impact the rear of the bolt to aid in the locking of the bolt - unless I misread that.

I've ordered a replacement bolt. While waiting, I've read all sorts of grim news about firing out of battery. All that I've read, indicates this problem is only on the 2nd and 3rd generation Universal M1 Carbines.

This is my first M1 Carbine, and I'm more confused the more I read about them.

I wish I had known more about it when I decided to get it. I though I got a great deal on it at the time - $225.

Any help would be appreciated. The replacement bolt should be here next week.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.